An examination of reasons why some people believe the 2020 election was stolen, “rigged,” or otherwise illegitimate. This includes an interview of Peter Wood, a sociologist and political writer, who strongly believes that the 2020 election was stolen. Other topics discussed: election distrust by liberals, and how election distrust is a common endpoint for polarized democratic nations.
Other resources related to or mentioned in our talk:
- Braver Angels interview with Peter Wood from January 2022
- A post by Braver Angels about their Peter Wood interview being removed from YouTube (it was later returned)
- Previous episode about ‘How many Trump voters really believe the election was stolen?’
- 2015 article by Peter Wood: Donald Trump and the Weak Man’s Vanity
- Time article by Molly Ball that Peter Wood points to as evidence of election fraud
- Review of Mollie Hemingway’s book Rigged, that Peter Wood points to as a serious work alleging election fraud
- Some writing by me, Zach Elwood, on the rarity of conspiracies succeeding
- Some writing by me on subject of requiring a very high bar for claims of election fraud
- Buzzfeed article about Eric Trump sharing many debunked election fraud allegations
- A Twitter thread of mine that included just some of the many Trump team emails. The ones leading up to November of 2020 had all sorts of allegations, including debunked allegations, that Democrats were stealing the election.
- Study about Russia’s influence on the 2016 election, by Christopher Bail et al